Why Should You Take The GMAT?
The GMAT is one of the most widely taken MBA entrance examinations globally, and the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) organises it. It is a test known to assess the analytical and critical thinking abilities of a candidate. The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is a Computer-Adaptive Test. Every management aspirant hopes to achieve a high GMAT score that will allow them to apply to the top MBA colleges in India and abroad. If you have decided to pursue an MBA, you must definitely consider taking the GMAT. There are a lot of advantages of taking the GMAT exam. In this article, we will look at the reasons why you should consider taking the GMAT.
Firstly let us look at the examination structure and pattern clearly.
Structure of GMAT Examination
The following is the structure of the GMAT Exam:
|Exam Duration||3 hours and 7 minutes, plus two optional 8-minute breaks|
|No. of Sections||Four|
|No. of Questions||80|
|Mode of GMAT Exam||Online (candidates have the option to take at Home or at a Test Centre)|
GMAT Exam Pattern
|Subject Name||No. of questions||Points||Time Limit|
|Quantitative Reasoning||31||6-51 (in 1-point increments)||62 Min|
|Verbal Reasoning||36||6-51 (in 1-point increments)||65 Min|
|Integrated Reasoning||12||1-8 (in 1-point increments)||30 Min|
|Analytical Writing Assessment||01||0-6 (in 0.5-point increments)||30 Min|
Top Reasons to take the GMAT Exam | The GMAT Exam Advantage
If you are someone who has decided to pursue an MBA (from India or abroad), there are numerous advantages of taking the GMAT exam. The GMAT is taken by 2-3 Lakh candidates worldwide. Following are top reasons one should take the GMAT exam:
- The GMAT is the most widely used exam for MBA admissions globally. The GMAT entrance exam is accepted by more than 7,000 MBA and Masters programs worldwide. The scores are accepted by 2,300+ schools globally. Also, the exam is accepted in over 110+ countries.
- A good score in the GMAT is proof of your commitment and motivation to pursue a management degree. Hence, the exam is trusted and accepted by a wide variety of B-Schools worldwide. Therefore, a high GMAT score increases your chances of getting admitted to your dream B-School.
- The exam measures the candidate’s analytical thinking and critical reasoning skills, the skills that are highly relevant during and post MBA.
- The candidates have the flexibility to take the exam anytime during the year. One can take the exam when he/she is ready to take it, and the test-taking is available in 110+ countries around the world.
- The candidates can take the exam up to 5 times during a year (and eight times is the overall limit).
- The GMAT score is valid for 5 years. Hence, the GMAT allows you the flexibility of building your profile before you start your MBA program.
- Relatively lesser time to prepare for GMAT (when compared to other MBA entrance exams such as CAT): It also does not take too many months to prepare for the exam, if one prepares with proper planning and seriousness. Candidates with a decent grasp of the concepts tested in the GMAT exam take 2-3 months to prepare for the exam. On the other hand, someone starting from scratch take 5-6 months to crack the exam.
- Opportunities to receive MBA scholarships: Many top B-Schools around the world offer scholarships (full or partial) to students who have achieved a good GMAT score. So, a high GMAT score (710+) will increase your chances of receiving a scholarship from the B-School.
- A score of 700+ (which is roughly 88+%ile) is a good score in the GMAT exam.
- The GMAT is a Computer-Adaptive test and hence it tries to match up to your ability while taking the test. You won’t get penalised too badly for your errors made during the exam.
- Better job and a higher salary post MBA: Getting into a top MBA college through the GMAT increases your earning potential and it opens a wide range of opportunities after your MBA.
- The candidates also have the option to take the exam at home: One can also take the GMAT exam at home. The GMAT Online Test at Home option is available in most countries including India. The candidates can take the exam on either a Windows or a Mac Personal Computer or Laptop at home.
- Top MBA colleges accepting GMAT scores in India: The candidates can get admission into some of the most reputed MBA colleges in India through the GMAT. These top MBA colleges in India are ranked among the best B-Schools in the world. The top B-Schools accepting GMAT scores in India include: ISB Hyderabad, SPJIMR, IIM’s (one-year MBA Program), XLRI, IMT Ghaziabad, Great Lakes Chennai, TAPMI, LBSIM Delhi, GIM Goa, etc.
We hope you found this article helpful. You can also read the article on Top MBA Colleges (with Placements, Fees, GMAT cut-offs) in India accepting the GMAT scores. You can download the GMAT Syllabus here.
Take the FREE GMAT Daily Tests which are curated to match the difficulty and format of the GMAT exam. Also, please do subscribe to the GMAT Preparation channel to get important updates and FREE GMAT Videos for preparation.
If you are starting your GMAT preparation from scratch, you should definitely check out the GMATPOINT